Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Elise's Story Part II

Sleep did not come easy on Sunday night. We were so tired and yet so worried, our minds did not stop thinking one thought after the other, though all we really wanted was to shut it off. I awoke to my alarm every 3 hours to pump and I think that was the time I felt the most alone. I sat at our kitchen counter and cried, wondering if Elise would ever benefit from the milk I was making. It was such a ridiculous substitute for what a new mother should be doing and at the same time, it made me feel like I was being productive for her.



Monday came quickly. It took the balance of the day to get things arranged for her MRI and angiogram. We spent the day with our little girl, talking with her and doing the few things that we were able to do in the NICU setting. We met with lots of doctors, including an amazingly kind and gentle neonatologist and another physician who is one of 30 researchers in the world to focus on brain injury in full term infants. Finally, we talked at length with the pediatric interventional radiologist who impressed upon us the risks of the procedure she would undergo and what the possible outcomes were.



As she left for her tests, we bid her goodbye and took a walk. Throughout the day, AJ and I had consciously and subconsciously begun to prepare ourselves for all types of outcomes. We both felt it was important to stay grounded and realistic and face the reality that we could lose our little girl. We didn't want our selfish desire to be with her to cloud our judgment if it seemed clear she wouldn't have any quality of life. At the same time, we felt like we were betraying her to even consider life without her, like we had allowed ourselves to lose hope. It was a gorgeous fall day and we talked for a long time about how in such a short time she had changed us forever. The day to day decisions that seemed so important to us before, the rushing to get more done in less time, the stress over work...it all seemed so pointless to us now. Elise had taught us about the most important things in life like love, family, faith, kindness...all these things that are so different from what our culture tells you are important. We knew that whatever happened to her, we would never be the same.



We sat in the hospital chapel and prayed and sang "Be Not Afraid" and "On Eagle's Wings." We held the cross my friends from college had sent to us and asked God once again to give us strength for what was ahead. We thanked God for each other. Shortly after we got back up to the NICU floor, we heard her name over the intercom and realized they had brought her back to the unit...she had only been gone an hour for what was supposed to take at least 2 or 3. AJ and I knew this was not a good turn of events and we again prepared ourselves for the worst news.



We sat in the conference room with AJ's parents, the pediatric interventional radiologist, the neonatologist, our nurse for the night, and the neonatology fellow. The radiologist explained that the MRI revealed there was diffuse swelling and widespread hypoxic damage to both cerebral hemispheres. Her brainstem, which controls primitive reflexes, was the only area that was spared. They postulated that seizures or the brain swelling had caused the widespread hypoxia. The damage was significantly more severe than anyone had anticipated or expected and they felt that there was no benefit to doing the angiogram with this information. It was clear there was no hope for meaningful recovery or any quality of life; basically, the decisions had been made for us.



AJ and I were devastated but amazingly calm. I think this was the information we were fearing all day and possibly longer. For AJ, it was the end of worry. We now knew the task ahead of us and although it would be the most difficult thing we had ever had to do, we knew we needed to be strong and let our little girl go home to God.

6 comments:

Huddle Girls said...

Stephanie,

You do not even know me, I somehow found your blog through either Angie Smith's or Stacy's blog. I simply had to express my heartfelt sympathy over the loss of your beautiful and precious Elise. She is absolutely beautiful. Elise's story is unbelievably much like my son Gavin's. Gavin was born April 7, 2008 and passed away May 3, 2008. I was blessed to have 26 days with him. The best guess of many doctors after signigicant investigation is that he suffered some type of cord accident in utero.

Be gentle with yourself in the coming days and weeks. Grief is so unpredictable and you just need to allow yourself to feel however you are feeling. Cling tight to your husband and allow your friends and family to help as much as possible. Sometimes I found it really hard to let others in because I was hurting so much, but the love and support of others will help you survive this. I don't mean to intrude on your blog, you have just been on my heart since I found your blog last night. Again, I am so very sorry for the loss of your daughter. My email if you ever want to "talk" is amanda_keeney@hotmail.com

Blessings,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Steph,

You have told her story beautifully and gracefully.

As your sweet girl looks down on you, she will certainly see your strength. Without question, she already knows that she is loved.

Ridiculous amounts of hugs,

Marita

Shey said...

I have been trying to come up with something to say all day and nothing seems to fit. I'll just say I love you guys and leave you with a beautiful bible verse about love:

It covers all things,
it has faith for all things,
it hopes in all things,
it endures in all things.

Kim Harms said...

I just finished reading your story so far and my heart is just broken to pieces. I cannot even begin to imagine what you have gone through and are still going through. You will continue to be in my prayers... thank you for sharing your story!
-Kim Harms
Colorado Springs, CO

Mommy07 said...

Once again, thanks for sharing your story in such an honest and heartfelt way. I hope you don't mind but I referred to your angel Elise in my own blog. I will continue to keep your family and your angel in my thoughts and prayers.

Scarlett said...

I am so sorry for your loss of Elise. She is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story. I have followed Stacy's blog for weeks, and your story, along with hers, has truly changed me. I feel like I have taken for granted so many small blessings, and both your stories make me stop and appreciate each blessing we have in life. I will continue to keep both your families in my thoughts and prayers.
-Scarlett Bowling
Corpus Christi, Texas