Sunday, October 26, 2008

shenandoah

Although we visited Shenendoah National Park over a week ago, I haven't really felt compelled to write about it...until now. It was definitely spur of the moment but seemed like what we needed; a little adventure, a reason to get away from Baltimore, a chance to be outside and renew ourselves somehow.

It turned out to be all of those things. With AJ's parents and my mother, we hiked. It wasn't very far but felt strenuous and exhilarating nonetheless. We walked through fields of hay-scented ferns, manuevered carefully down steep, rocky, leaf covered paths, and enjoyed spectacular views of the sprawlng Shendandoah Valley. We spent a short time on the Appalachian Trail which runs the length of the park and enjoyed the brilliant foliage, already peaking at certain elevations.

AJ and I hiked alone to the base of a waterfall and enjoyed the relative quiet of the forest. We talked about the future and felt a lot of the hike was a metaphor for our lives at this point...lots of twists and turns, not quite knowing what lay around the bend, but walking it anyway. I don't think we answered any questions or solved any problems, but it was good to be there and do something together that we've always enjoyed.

6 comments:

Shey said...

what a beautiful photo - and sounds like a great way to connect with everything again. Being outside in nature always reminds me how amazing the world is, how little I understand everything about it, and how beautiful it is nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Julie gave us the sad news of your painful loss and the link to your blog. We wanted to reach out and offer you our sincerest sympathy and consolation. You have experienced one of life's cruelest and most devastating agonies, the loss of a child, and there are just no words adequate to salve the wounds you have sustained.

Our hope is that you can take some solace in knowing that Elise's story, and the brave and elegant way in which you told it, will serve as an inspiration to so many in reassessing and prioritizing the things that really matter in their lives. Stephanie and A.J., we can assure you that Elise's short life on this earth has done more to further compassion, understanding and love then most people can muster in their more traditional lifespans.

Her memory and the lessons and the emotions she has invoked in each of us will become a part of the very fabric of our lives. This will be her legacy and, we pray, a source of strength and hope for you and your family.

You will forever be in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Dennis & Lynda Stankus

Shana-Lynn said...

I found your blog through Shey. My heart breaks for you and your husband. As I am typing this I have tears rolling down my cheeks, you are so brave to tell your story like this. Hugs to you.

Elise has already touched so many lives, mine included.

Cindy said...

Aj, Stephanie, Angel Elise,

I have had the honor of being Liz's friend for many years now. I saw her last night and got to know Elise a little more. We cried and had the computer on the prayer table with Elisa's picture on it. The candle refected on her beautiful angel face. I cried again ths morning when I read your story. Though life may have this illusion we are all separate, we really are all connected. When one suffers we all do. Thank you for sharing Elise with us. I find peace in knowing we are all connected in spirit; now and forever. Love and Peace, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers for peace.

Cynthia

Huddle Girls said...

I am glad that you were able to get out and connect with nature. I have found that getting outside or physical exercise has been helpful for me as I continue to work through my grief. Take each day one at a time. I continue to pray for you.

Amanda